Sunday, June 10, 2012

May 2012

My first chemo was May first.Jared took me, and my MIL Shari came for a while too. The people at MSTI are so great. It puts me at ease just to walk into the building. I didn't get the Avastin this time because it inhibits healing and I am not far enough from my surgery date.

I wrote this May 2nd, the day after my first chemo:
  "Chemo went fine. At first my port wouldn't work for taking blood, just giving meds. Had to have an x-ray. They finally put some blood clot meds in the port and then it worked both ways. I got anti nausea meds before, anti neuropathy meds before and after, steroids. Then my two different kinds of chemo. I also came home with a fanny pack full of chemo that will get removed tomorrow.

I feel OK. Haven't had to take any anti nausea meds yet (the ones they gave me yesterday are supposed to last for 48 hours). I just feel all around weird. My brain is in slow mode. My body is just tired and just off. I don't feel bad, and I don't feel good. I guess that is good news.

I have some neuropathy side effects. If I drink anything cold, if makes me feel like I have something stuck in my throat. Nothing with my hands or feet yet.

So I am just sitting/lying around today. I can get up for a while but then I need to lay down again."

May 11th was the night of my benefit dinner and auction.  I cannot express enough my thanks to my friends who put it on for me, and the people who donated items and money for me and my family. It was a totally awesome experience. I love living in a small town. People are awesome.

My May 15th Chemo went well. Pretty much the same as the first except I had my Avastin this time. No new side effects except for in my hands.  They freak out if I touch anything cold.

May 29th I went in for my 3rd round of Chemo. I was scheduled to have iron transfusions that would be twice a week for 3 weeks.  They always do a blood test first to make sure you are healthy enough to get the Chemo.  My red blood cells are getting better on their own, so for now my iron transfusions are on hold. YAY!  No new side effects.  Little nausea, a little fatigue.  The cold sensitivity in my mouth, throat and my hands were worse. But I can live with it. 

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Lisa. You are AMAZING! I'm continuing to pray for a miracle. I am glad that chemo seems to be relatively kind to you.
    You sound like you are surrounded by love.
    God bless and keep you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so very much for sharing so much, Aunt Lisa! Please let us know when your genetic testing results are in. I so appreciate your optimism!
    -- Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you Aunt Lisa! I am so glad you started this blog. Thanks so much for sharing this with us. You and your family are constantly in our prayers. We are praying for a miracle and continued love, strength, comfort, and support.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your blog, Aunt Lisa. I have been reading & re-reading it since you posted about it. Prayers will continue, & just know we love you so much.

    ReplyDelete