Friday, June 29, 2012

Chemo #5

Getting Chemo isn't too bad. With the port I have in my chest, it really doesn't hurt at all. It is a little annoying sleeping with a fanny pack on for 2 nights, but I am getting used to it.

The effects from the Chemo get worse each time. It's Friday afternoon and I'm still not feeling too good. My hands are aching from the neuropathy. I just feel yucky, and tired. Nothing too bad. I can't complain too much. I'm hoping by tomorrow I'm feeling more like myself. At least I don't have all of the side effects. These are the main medicines I get along with the side effects that can happen: (Putting an * next to the effects I do have)

Side-effects of oxaliplatin treatment can potentially include:
*Neuropathy, (both an acute, reversible sensitivity to cold and numbness in the hands and feet and a chronic, possibly irreversible foot/leg, hand/arm numbness, often with deficits in proprioception)[8]
*Fatigue
*Nausea, vomiting, and/or diarrhea
Neutropenia (low number of a type of white blood cells)
Ototoxicity (hearing loss)
Extravasation if Oxaliplatin leaks from the infusion vein it may cause severe damage to the connective tissues.
Hypokalemia (low blood potassium), which is more common in women than men[9]
In addition, some patients may experience an allergic reaction to platinum-containing drugs. This is more common in women


FU-5 Possible side effects

Common

low white blood cell count with increased risk of infection
low platelet count with increased risk of bleeding
*darkening of skin and nail beds
*nausea
vomiting
*poor appetite
sores in mouth, lips, or throat
hair loss or thinning (may include face and body hair)
diarrhea
brittle nails
increased sensitivity to sun, with risk of severe sunburn
*dry, flaky, cracking skin

Less common:
darkening and hardening of vein used for giving the drug
headache
weakness
muscle aches

Rare:
trouble walking, trouble forming words, and poor coordination
irritated eyes
increased tears, watering eyes
blurred vision
heart problems (chest pain, heart attack, heart failure, changes in electrical conduction and more) that usually get better after the drug is stopped
confusion
*tingling, numbness, or swelling in the hands and feet
severe allergic reaction
death due to infection, bleeding, not being able to process the drug (DPD deficiency), or other causes


Avastin

*Scaly, peeling skin -- in up to 84 percent of people
High blood pressure (hypertension) -- up to 67 percent
Abdominal pain (stomach pain) -- up to 61 percent
*General weakness -- up to 57 percent
Infections -- up to 55 percent
Vomiting -- up to 52 percent
Upper respiratory tract infection (such as the common cold) -- up to 47 percent
*Fatigue -- up to 45 percent
*Loss of appetite -- up to 43 percent.


Constipation
*Nosebleeds
Diarrhea
Headache
Hair loss
Mouth sores
Muscle pain
Shortness of breath
*Dizziness
*Indigestion or heartburn
Changes in taste
Weight loss
Low blood pressure (hypotension)
*Nausea
*Weakness
Dehydration
Voice changes
Dry mouth
Skin sores

I'm pretty lucky that most of the side effects aren't affecting me.

My weight and my iron levels are staying the same, which is great.

I asked my oncologist what it next. I have my last scheduled chemo cycle on July 10th. Then a CAT scan around the 24th. Then we will go from there. I may be having surgery. Either to remove cancer from my liver, or I may be getting a radiation called Y-90. It stands for Yttrium-90 Radioembolization. It's basically little balls that contain radiation, that are put directly into the veins that feed the tumor. I think anyways. I haven't read about it too much.

My hope is that the tumors have shrunk enough to do a liver resection. I really haven't had any symptoms of cancer in my liver. No pain, no jaundice. If it wasn't for the CAT scan I would have no idea I had anything wrong with my liver.

I am hoping to have a little break from Chemo/surgery. But I have to do whatever I can to get rid of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment