Friday, July 20, 2012

My first "Let's see what's going on" CAT scan...

My appointment was a 8am Tuesday the 17th. I met with the CAT scan lady, she gave me a nice drink (ick) of orange soda mixed with contrast dye. The dye makes structures and organs easier to see on the CT pictures. That was unpleasant. After a while they took me back to the room with the machine. Jackie was there from MSTI (Mountain State Tumor Institute) which is practically right next door to access my chest port so that I wouldn't have to have an IV (for more dye which is put right into the vein). She tried to access it twice. It wouldn't work. She left the second try in my chest so that I could get a chest xray to see why it wasn't working. So I had to get an IV :( but it wasn't too bad. The scan itself only took 10 minutes max. The IV dye makes you feel hot, weird and like you peed your pants. Luckily they warn you ahead of time so you don't freak out..LOL

I went and had a chest xray, and walked over to MSTI to wait for the results. I didn't have to wait long. It was in the right place. Now I was facing another surgery to have another port placed. The Chemo that I am on cannot be given with just a normal IV. I have to have a port. I was getting pretty bummed and nervous. One of the nurses, Mandy suggested that we try a new box of port needles. She had heard about some defective ones. As much as I didn't want to get jabbed again, I wanted to try. Anything to avoid surgery. Jackie took out the second needle and put in the 3rd out of the new box and TADA! It worked! I was so relieved, and so ready to go home.


So then the waiting started. Jackie said I could call MSTI the next day and they would have my results. I stalled and didn't call until Wednesday afternoon. The lady I talked to said I needed to wait until Tuesday when I had my next Chemo and my next appointment with my oncologist so he could review the results with me. Ugg. So then I started thinking the worst. Jared knew I was freaking out a little and called MSTI and asked to talk with Jackie. She pulled the results and read the summary to Jared. He handed the phone to me, and Jackie read the summary to me. The only things I remember and that actually made sense to me were "No new Mets" ( so no new cancer ) and the words "Significantly smaller". YAY! Not exactly the "we can't see any cancer anywhere" answer that I wanted. But very good news.

Tuesday I will get to get more detailed results from my doctor. But I happy with what I know so far. I hope that Tuesday will bring more good news :)

Thank you for all the prayers and positive thoughts. They are working!


3 comments:

  1. Getting jabbed and poked multiple times is horrible! Does this port stay in you all the time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for keeping us updated with your blog. Sounds like things are headed the right direction. Wish the medicine would work without any unpleasant side effects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, sorry you have to get another port put in, but I am so glad you heard the words you deserve to hear! I hope tuesday brings much relief and happiness! You deserve it! Prayers continue-much love, V

    ReplyDelete