Saturday, September 22, 2012

These side effects really suck....

    My feet are totally numb. My calfs are semi-numb. My finger tips are numb.  I've almost fallen 3 times today.   I'd better just stay on my butt. Other side effects I have - Pain, swelling, and redness of the mouth, tongue, and throat “Coated tongue”.Numbness or tingling feeling in the hands or feet ,Muscle cramps,Loss of balance,Difficulty buttoning buttons or picking up objects, Decreased awareness of heat or cold in fingertips and toes. Cracked and peeling skin. Bloody and runny nose. Darkening of the fingers and nails. Loss of appetite, change in taste buds. Weakness, and feeling cold.  All around Ditsyness (Chemo-Brain).
   In ways the FOLFOX regimen has been easy on me.  I still have my hair, haven't thrown up. I have minimal nausea. My blood tests have always come back good. Along with my blood pressure and other things, all normal.
   The worst side effects are the neuropathy that causes the nerve damage which equals numbness, and the fatigue.  The first few days after chemo I just want to sleep 24/7.
    I have already been taken off the oxaliplatin.  I am seriously thinking of having the oncologist take me off of the 5-FU also.  I only am scheduled for one more dose, but I cannot even think about this numbness getting worse.
    When I went in for chemo on Tuesday, Dr. S (my oncologist) told me he has been talking to Dr.H (the radiologist) about going ahead with the Y-90 radiation treatment.  I will know more on Oct 2nd when I go get my LAST chemo treatment of this regimen, #12!  I think I may throw a party. The Dr. has promised to make it easier on me for the holidays.  I am assuming (which I shouldn't do) that I will be kept on the avastin for quite a while.
 

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Glad you connected with me via FB. Yes the neuropathy is irritating. My onc put me on gabapentin. Its helps prevent nerve damage. Ask about it.

    It sounds like you are in your last of your 1st chemo cycle? What is your oncologists goals in treatment? Surgery next or you mentioned radiation? I have never had radiation yet.

    Hang in there! This cancer is beatable!

    ReplyDelete